Sunday, 20 June 2010

Every cloud...

And I was your silver lining,
As the story goes.

I was your silver lining,
But now I'm gold.
Rilo Kiley - 'Silver Lining'

So BP have been stuffing its oil spill with everything from rubbish to your mum's old curtains, Nick Clegg has shafted Sheffield for his deal with the devil and England are probably going to miss out on progressing past the group stages. Normally, this would all make for a very unhappy Mo, but you know what? I'm not, I'm actually really happy.

Maybe it's because I've finally moved out of the joke that was my Uni house, maybe it's because Glastonbury is in a few days, maybe it's because Gemma Ward is using the new 'Pirates of the Caribbean' to make a comeback. It's probably a combination of all of these things, but whatever it is, it's bloody good. Here are some songs by female singers that I'm enjoying at the moment:

Laura Marling - 'Hope In The Air'
After the critically acclaimed 'Alas I Cannot Swim', young Laura had a lot to live up to. With her spring release, 'I Speak Because I Can', she has in fact surpassed expectations. Personal favourite, 'Hope In The Air' shows a newer, almost world-weary Marling and the song builds to an alarmingly beautiful crescendo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrYOUhOeaI
Favourite lyric: 'I forgave you your shortcomings/And ignored your childish behavior/Laid a kiss on your head/And before I left said,/"Stay away from fleeting favour"
Scary Mansion - 'Go To Hell'
There's something so wonderfully bleak about this song, despite its somewhat inflammatory song title. Scary Mansion (real name Leah Hayes) is a bit like what you'd get if Cat Power just completely gave up and 'Go To Hell' the anthem for this. Her voice certainly can't compare to Cat Power's, but her fragile, cracked delivery is actually what makes this so interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMHTllJaG-8
Favourite lyric: 'If only the company of others/Was as quiet as this friend scarecrow/Then you can imagine it saying to you,/"I will hold you eventually."/And you can imagine it saying/"Go to hell."'

Tanita Tikaram - 'Twist In My Sobriety'
This song isn't really new, or even recent. It is, however, very very good. I have a thing for female singers with deep rich voices and Tanita's vocals remind me of if Nico were technically a better singer. 'Twist In My Sobriety' is, according to Tanita herself, about a one night stand, but the lyrics are so cryptic (the opening line is the title of a Maya Angelou novel), that you're often left searching for something more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXSTe9YMCKo&feature=related
Favourite lyric: 'All God's children need travelling shoes/Drive your problems from here/All good people read good books/Now your conscience is clear/I hear you talk girl/Now your conscience is clear'

No comments:

Post a Comment